Today i helped a friend on his current drama.
Filming took place at Stafford train station, where throughout the day i recorded and monitored sound as well as reading lines as the other part of the phone conversation we were filming.
The sound equipment used was a zoom H4n with wind guards. Using this has tempted me to get my own for future projects as they are a very handy tool.
Today I filmed the shave doctor in Prescot, Liverpool.
He was demonstrating cut throat shaving to students who then shaved people with his guidance.
The footage from today will be used as part of the documentary I am doing for the shave doctor. And will also be used for my editing exam.
For the wedding video I have done I was asked to produce DVDs of the video for the client.
My first couple of attempts left the quality massively impaired as the video had been compressed from 12gb to 4.7gb to fit on a DVD.
After some fiddling about I decided the best and easiest way to keep the quality would be to get the video in premiere pro and split it into 3 and put it on 3 different timelines so the wedding video was across 3 disks. This kept the high quality of the video.
I showed the client both the low quality and high quality to see which he wanted to go with and he chose the high quality one. So I am now burning 4 more copies for him.
Ok so working on the wedding video project and hit some trouble.
The video needs to be burnt to disk. So first try I export as a MPEG DVD from the presets in premiere pro. The video got to 99% and then showed a time remaining of a thousand years. So I guessed something was up. I left the program for two hours to see if it would right itself but it did not.
So for my second try I looked for anything in the project that I thought might be causing this error, found nothing and I thought I will clean the adobe cache files and try using the dynamic link with adobe Encore for a 2 and a half hour full HD video.
This was a success… Sort of. The video after a day of encoding began to burn to DVD. I put the DVD in my ps3 to play and the quality is awful. Not even standard def. what adobe has done is sacrifice the quality of the video to fit it on one disk.
Ok so back to the drawing board I check the video over and over and search the net for an answer. I found online that having blank space where nothing is can cause premiere to get confused when exporting as it’s being told that there’s information there but can’t find anything and continues to try to. But I’d already checked for this. So I thought I will zoom in on the timeline and go through it with a fine tooth comb to see if that is the problem. I get to 2 hours 29 minutes with no problem found and then realise after watching the outro to the video I have left 10 seconds of nothing after the song fades out. For no reason at all. I then remember trimming a clip just before trying to export and realising that this must have caused the gap at the end.
I drag the work area back so that it snaps to the last thing which is audio.
I am now exporting again 720p this time as a MPEG 2 to burn to DVD after.
Moral of the story check for the obvious things more than once as you forget the significants of changing the smallest of things.